Read Maus (volume l and ll) and answer the following questions in your own words. Please note that the questions do not have a single “right” or “wrong.” They are designed to encourage you to think!
(1) Why does Spiegelman draw Maus using animals, rather than people? What animals does he choose? Why? (3-5 sentences)
(2) Why does Spiegelman draw Maus in black-and-white, rather than in color? (1-2 sentences)
(3) Describe Art Spiegelman’s relationship to his brother Richieu. (2 sentences)
(4) Pick one illustration from Maus and describe it: what do you find particularly interesting in how it is drawn (i.e., the artistic technique). (3-4 sentences)
(5) Describe your reaction to reading Maus. What did you feel when you got to the “happy, happy ever after” end? (3-4 sentences)