My dear friends,
Once you are on the online Perusall interface, click on the work on assignment button. The guiding questions for Perusall #1 are also listed in the window above this button. The assigned reading for Perusall #1 is listed as “EnvHist.”
In order to respond to the guiding questions:
a) Please first highlight the relevant section(s) and
b) Enter your response/comment/analysis by clicking on that specific highlight and using the current conversations panel to the right. Please make sure to hit enter to send in your responses.
You are automatically assigned into smaller groups (groups of 5-6) for Perusall activities. As you work on your annotations, you will likely see your group members comments pop up. Please also try to engage with their annotations when and if possible.
The “Getting Started” section on the Perusall interface also offers a great overview and very good examples.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Explanation of Perusall:
Perusall is a tool to strengthen the understanding and analysis of assigned readings. It helps to engage texts more thoroughly, hones critical analysis, and foster discussion, for which you will be in a Perusall peer group. This assignment provides questions to guide your reading. You will start an annotation thread in Perusall by selecting and highlighting text and writing your comments and/or questions, to which your peers can respond. Be sure to respond to at least one other students comments in your group.
Guiding Questions for Perusall #1:
1. In the Introductory Section of the Chapter: What are the goals that the author sets out for the chapter in this introductory section?
2. With the goals that you identified in the introductory chapter: Annotate how the author uses evidence in the next section (The Serengeti) to argue for his position.
3. With the goals that you identified in the introductory chapter: Annotate how the author uses evidence in the next section (Kakadu, Australia) to argue for his position.
4. With the goals that you identified in the introductory chapter: Annotate how the author uses evidence in the next section (Hopi, Arizona) to argue for his position.
5. Does the conclusion offer an adequate close to the chapter? Did you find the chapter persuasive? Annotate your views.